Autodesk Alias® Plugin to import Rhinoceros® 3DM files.
Open Utilities > Plugin Manager and select import3DM to enable the plugin. Please select import3DM_2021_3 instead, if you are using Alias versions newer than 2021.3. The plugin will be listed under Autodesk Exchange Apps.
Select the Auto Load option to automatically load the plugin the next time Alias starts.
The plugin will be installed under File > Import menu, as Import 3DM
Click on Import 3DM to open a 3dm file to a new stage or the current stage depending upon the option.
The following datasets are translated
|Brep Surfaces||Nurbs Surfaces|
|Solids/ Joined surfaces||Group of Nurbs Surfaces|
|Point Sets||Point Cloud|
Installation and Uninstallation
The installer that ran when you downloaded this plug-in from Autodesk Exchange App has already installed the plug-in.
Please ensure the following pre-requisites are met.
- .NET framework 4.5.2 or above. Download the framework from https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=42643
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable x64 or above. Download the files from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads
To uninstall this plug-in, simply rerun the installer by downloading it again from Exchange, and select the 'Uninstall' button, or you can uninstall it from 'Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features' just as you would uninstall any other application from your system. If the Plugin Manager window is open, it should be closed and re-opened to update the list of available plugins.
Licenses and Price:
Price of a single seat is $99 for a one year subscription.
LicenseManger will automatically pop up when the plugin is invoked for the first time. A trial subscription for 30 days can be activated by clicking on the "Trial Subscription" button. Click on the "Buy Subscription" button for a one year subscription. The cost of subscription is USD 99. Internet Connection is required to enable trial subscription and to activate regular subscription. After buying the subscription, click on "Activate Subscription" to activate your subscription. The License Manager will automatically pop up 9 days before the end of subscription period
The software is available for download from Autodesk Exchange App store.
Limitations: Some trim edges might be distorted when importing certain Rhino parametric geometry.
Work Around 1: If you encounter such distortions, an optional Rhino 6 Plugin and Rhino 5 Plugin is provided to correct those distortions. Please download the plugins from the download section.
The plugin provides two commands
1, DS_Optimize: This would optimize the geometry in Rhino for transfer to Alias and other neutral formats.
2, DS_SplitKinkyEdges: This would split the edges at c1 discontinuities.
Work Around 2: Save the file in Rhino as v2. The resulting files will not have the distortions when imported to Alias
- Enhancement: Trial period of 30 days
- Enhancement: New License Manager
- Enhancement: Support for Alias 2021.3
- Enhancement: OpenNURBS 7.x
- Enhancement: Support v7 3DM files
- Enhancement: OpenNURBS 6.15
- Bug Fix: Minor bugs
- Enhancement: Added additional options
- Enhancement: Support for Alias 2020.
- Enhancement: Improved License Manager
- New App Icon
- 64 bit version only
- Support for Rhino 6
- Support for Alias 2019
- Standalone translator
- 64 bit Alias only
- Subscription based rolling update.
- Added support for Alias 2017 products
- Added support for Alias 2016 products
- Duplicate shaders are not translated
- Added support for trial mode.
- Added support for v5 entities. Compiled using OpenNURBS v5 (20120914)
- Bug fixes on Spot light imports.
- Initial Release
Let me know your comments and suggestions at